Sunday, November 18, 2012

Hospitality at the Heart of the Gospel

As with everything else in life, my fears and confidences in this area reflect my experience of the gospel. If I am hyper-afraid of being ripped off, then I don't really believe I have a gracious, generous God who has brought me into the richness of his family. But if I know that God has welcomed me to experience his riches, I care much less if someone ends up stealing from me.

In that respect, hospitality is more than a gamble on whether God may or may not bless you--hospitality sits at the heart of the gospel. And the gospel is the great equalizer between you and someone who might be tempted to abuse your kindness.

--William P. Smith, Loving Well (Even If You Haven't Been) (Greensboro, NC: New Growth, 2012), 241-242.

No comments:

Post a Comment