Sunday, November 18, 2012

God's Gifts are Tailor-Made

God's gifts are perfect because he knows exactly what you need and he gladly, graciously gives according to your needs.

That's liberating news. When I realize that God makes his gifts fit each person, there's no way I can covet what you got because it just wouldn't fit me. It would be like me trying to wear the clothes of our 6' 4" elder. It doesn't matter how much I might like his style or how much I want to fill my closet, his clothes are just not going to fit me.

God's gifts are that specific as well. Being envious of you or desiring what you have misses the point that the things he's given you won't fit me. Instead of mass producing his gifts, God tailor fits every gift so that it is precisely right for the receiver.

--William P. Smith, Loving Well (Even If You Haven't Been) (Greensboro, NC: New Growth, 2012), 204.

No comments:

Post a Comment